In case you need
to have a profound realization some convincing that soda is terrible for you, click HERE or continue reading.
9 reasons why you should FINALLY stop drinking soda:
- CRAZY STRANGE FAT DISTRIBUTION: To all the regular soda drinkers out there, unless you want extra-special fat build-up around your liver and skeletal muscles, I’d put down the Coke and grab a glass of water, if I were you. If you chose not to ditch the cola, you will also benefit from higher cholesterol, increased blood fat (EWW), and insulin resistance…hello diabetes!
- DIET SODA BELLY: Are you a regular diet soda consumer? Congrats! You are likely to have a 70% increase in your waistline over the next 10 years, compared to non-soda drinkers. READ: Aspartame increases blood glucose levels resulting in weight gain. Excess glucose = excess body fat.
- CARAMEL COLORED CANCER CAUSERS: Say that 5 times fast….Last year a petition was brought to the FDA to ban the caramel coloring used brown-colored sodas because there are two contaminants in the soda that cause cancer. This ingredient is a vanity-thing and has no impact on the taste of the product, therefore rendering it unnecessary. Whether you drink regular or diet soda, you are susceptible to the wrath of 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole. BEWARE!
- GET OLDER FASTER: Have you been wondering why you look so damn old lately? Well, it may have something to do with what you’re drinking! Ever hear the saying you are what you eat…..it applies to what you drink, too. Phosphates and phosphoric acids are in diet and regular cola (there’s no escape!). This weak acid adds tang and preserves the taste, but is attributed to heart and kidney problems, muscle loss, and osteoporosis, and accelerated aging…OH MY! Good news is, soda manufacturers are (insert sarcasm here) INCREASING this ingredient.
- WATER POLLUTION: This is for all the environmentalists out there: We already know that artificial sweeteners used in diet soda is really bad for our bodies, but guess what…they are also terrible for the environment! A number of studies have found increased levels of various artificial sweeteners in water supplies around the world. Although the full impact of fake-sugar is known, studies show it is having an impact on some organisms’ feeding habits.
- THE MOUNTAIN DEW EFFECT: Although this is not the technical term (yet) for these side effects, it sums up what happens when you over-DEW it. As a result of trial and error, those of us who have dabble with the Dew know that cavities almost always result from the neon yellow drink. Cavitiies arent the only side-effect to be concerned with. Studies show that brominated vegetable oil (BVO), used to keep the flavor and drink together (literally) is also an ingredient used in flame-retardant plastic. Wait…WHAT??? Yes, the same ingredient used to prevent plastic from bursting into flames is also used in citrusy soda and fruit drinks AND can cause memory loss…go figure, it’s bad for you!
- HORMONE HAVOC: Most aluminum cans are lined with bisphenol A (BPA), which is used to keep acids in the soda from reacting with the metal can is notorious from interacting with hormones. BPA is linked to hormonal problems such as infertility, obesity, diabetes and some forms of reproductive cancers. Thanks to the CDC, Coke and Pepsi fully aware of how terrible BPA is and are currently in a competition to see who can make 100% plant-based-plastic bottle, but neither is willing to abstain from using BPA coated cans. Although the soda isn’t to blame, I still don’t advise drinking it.
- A BIRD FOR A BOTTLE: Congratulations! You just decided to switch from cans to bottles to avoid increased consumption of BPA. Consider this: the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch” (see here) is a mass of plastic debris, mostly bottle caps (which are rarely recycled), float right below the surface of the water. This is a problem because birds, sea turtles, and their friends mistake the garbage for food and end up starving to death. Have a heart, don’t drink soda.
- THE UNKNOWN: Check out the ingredient list and you will see most of the items on there contain or are derived from corn. Oh good! Natural substance! Think again..an estimated 88% of the corn grown in the US are genitally modified to resist toxic pesticides and create their own pesticides. This is scary because GMO’s are linked to digestive tract damage, accelerated aging, and even infertility. Beware: “by drinking soda, you’re taking part in the biggest science experiment on the planet.”